Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dry Wolf - Pilsner

Ok, I know it's been a while since I posted but here's the latest recipe brewing!

It's an all grain Pilsner Lager and the first that I've gotten to make with some of the new equipment I've acquired over the last few months for my Birthday and Christmas. Here is the sack of Weyermann Pilsner malt from Germany to make it an authentic "Continental" Pilsner.


Here's the Barley Crusher Malt Mill, which I got for my birthday from my lovely wife! (she also got me the aluminum scoop in the above pic and the scale that I used to weigh the grain!) I crushed the first bit cranking by hand before attaching the power drill to grind through the rest. I think it would have taken forever by hand, but was a good way to see what kind of crush I was getting. Altogether there was 12.5 pounds of grain...12lbs of pilsner malt and .5lbs of Carapils to help give the beer a little body and help with head retention.

The mash schedule was the most complicated one I've done yet, including an acid and protien rest before the normal saccrification rest. Not sure if it was worth all the bother or neccessary. The Pilsner malt should have been well modified enough to not require this but some recipes I've read have included and recomended these rests and it is necessary with some lesser modified malts, so I wanted to give it a try. I had some trouble hitting the 150 degree sacrification temp and ended up mashing it for about a half hour longer at around 148 degrees instead. All of this did end up paying off as the wort extracted ended up with a gravity of 1.062 after the boil at 6 gallons. The good news is that it will produce a beer with a higher amount of alcohol(around 6%abv). The bad news is that this will be higher than the style (Bohemian/German Pilsner) call for.

Here is a picture of my ghetto brewing setup in action. Actually this is probably my 6th all-grain batch and I think I finally am getting the set up right for what I have. It's not pretty but it works. Next I'll have to work on building a structure or maybe getting some used kegs for the boil kettle and hot liqour tank. I wonder what the neighbors think I'm up to when I'm out on the patio brewing!

Below is the recipe I pasted from Beer Tools...the program I use to formulate recipes. It's basically a combination of a bunch of different recipies with some tweaks. The lager yeast is the Bavarian strain from Wyeast. The reason for this was so that I can re-use the yeast from this batch on a Mai-Bock that I'm planning to brew next. Cranked up the amount of hops a little. One, becasue I like hops and two, because I would really like to come up with something close to Victory Brewing Company's Prima Pils. I was finally able to try this beer and I think it is my favorite with a clean lager flavor, pilsner malt taste and plenty of hops!

Dry Wolf Pilsner- Bohemian Pilsner

Author: Bob Hoenisch



Date: 1/12/2009
Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 87.75%
Attenuation: 73.0%
Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.044 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.013 - 1.017)
Color: 4.22 (3.5 - 6.0)Alcohol: 5.95% (4.2% - 5.4%)
Bitterness: 37.8 (35.0 - 45.0)
Ingredients:12.0 lb Pilsner Malt
.5 lb 2-Row Carapils® Malt
WYeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
3.0 oz Czech Saaz (2.50%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
2.0 oz Czech Saaz (2.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
1.0 oz Czech Saaz (2.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 oz Czech Saaz (2.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
MashSchedule:
Ambient Air: 30.0 °F Source Water: 55 °F Elevation: 3500.0 ft
Mash-in - Liquor: 2.5 gal; Strike: 100.0 °F; Target: 93.2 °F
Acid rest - Rest: 30.0 min; Final: 93.2 °F
Protien infusion - Water: 1.25 gal; Temperature: 200.0 °F; Target: 123.9 °F
Protien rest - Rest: 30.0 min; Final: 122.0 °F
Saccrification-infusion - Water: 2.25 gal; Temperature: 204.1 °F; Target: 150 °F
Saccrification-rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 150.0 °F
Sparge - Sparge Volume: 6.25 gal; Sparge Temperature: 169.0 °F;
Runoff: 6.99 ga
Boil
xfer to primary - Volume: 5.63 gal;
Final: 60.0 °F
Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

No comments: